We’re committed to the fight.
Few areas of medicine evoke greater anxiety and require greater sensitivity than women’s imaging. At Progressive Radiology we take great pride in this important facet of our practice. We understand the special challenges involved in meeting women’s diagnostic needs. This not only encompasses breast imaging, but also includes imaging of the pelvis and reproductive organs, gynecological cancers, the fetus, and diagnosing osteoporosis. Our caring staff and on-site Board certified radiologists are committed to providing exceptional care to our patients, emphasizing a comfortable, private experience, and taking the time to accommodate each and every patient’s individual needs.
Why Choose Us?
At Progressive Radiology Women’s Centers (Bel Air, Colonnade - Maryland, Columbia - Maryland, Winchester - Virginia) we are proud to offer state-of-the-art digital 3D mammography (also known as breast tomosynthesis). The results include superior resolution, the need for fewer repeat images, thus, decreasing radiation to our patients, and the ability to manipulate images for more accurate detection of breast cancers. "We are very proud of our yearly statistics which show breast cancer diagnostic accuracy rates of over 99% while we were still using conventional 2D mammography," said Dr. Jill Wilkens,, Medical Director and women’s imager at Progressive’s Bel Air, Colonnade - Maryland location. "This is significantly above the national average. Now with revolutionary tomosynthesis technology, we can provide faster, safer exams, and continue to improve our accuracy rates."
Our highly trained on-site board certified radiologists will expertly communicate your results to your medical provider in a timely fashion.
All of our digital mammography facilities are ACR and FDA accredited.
Please see our commitment to you:
The PROGRESSIVE Difference:
1. Clinical Expertise: Your mammogram is interpreted by a Board-certified physician with specialty training in Breast Imaging every time you have your exam at The Progressive Radiology Women’s Centers in Bel Air, MD; Columbia, MD and Winchester, VA. Important difference!
2. Technical Expertise: A certified technologist who specializes in doing mammograms, all day, every day performs your exam. Important difference!
3. Technology: Your mammogram is always performed using the latest digital technology. All of our centers offer 3D tomosynthesis mammography proven to INCREASE cancer detection rates and REDUCE unnecessary callbacks. Our ultrasound equipment is the newest generation available on the market. We have the highest definition 3T MRI scanner in the industry for breast imaging. Important difference!
4. Compassion: We understand there may be anxiety associated with your visit and our dedicated team is here for you and prepared to answer all of your questions so that you feel at ease when you leave. Important difference!
5. Comfort: We understand that a mammogram can be stressful. Therefore, we have created a spa-like atmosphere providing you private dressing rooms, heated robes, and an assortment of warm beverages to help make your experience as pleasant as possible. Important difference!
6. No Need to Wait: You want to know immediately, right? Results from your screening mammogram are typically available in 24 hours. Results from your diagnostic mammogram and breast ultrasound are communicated to you at the time of your visit. Often times we have walk-in screening appointments available! Important difference!
7. Comprehensive Care: We screen and identify patients who may be at high risk for genetically transmitted cancers and offer in-office non-invasive genetic testing. We also perform lifetime breast cancer risk scores on every patient at no additional cost. We offer screening Breast MRI for patients at higher risk for breast cancer. Important difference!
8. Team Care: If you have an abnormality in your breast, our physicians will arrange for necessary biopsy/tissue diagnosis and assist in referring you to the appropriate Breast Surgeons/Specialists, Breast Oncologists, and Genetics Counselors to get you the best available care, now. Important difference!
9. Convenience: All of our centers are easily accessible. We provide convenient free parking. We offer extended hours for screening mammograms and have ample time slots available for diagnostic exams if you are called back for additional images. Important difference!
10. You are our number one priority: You are NEVER just a number. You will receive Exceptional Service Every Time! Important difference!
Mammography uses low dose x-rays to image the breast. It is considered the most effective tool for early breast cancer detection. Medical experts agree that successful treatment of breast cancer is linked to early diagnosis. Mammography can detect tiny cancers before they can be found on physical examination.
*The American Cancer Society’s (ACS) most recent statistics show:
- Breast cancer is second in frequency only to skin cancer, amongst women.
- It is the second-leading cause of cancer death in women,
- Women have a 1 in 33 (3 percent) chance of dying from Breast Cancer.
- Women have a 1 in 8 chance of developing invasive breast cancer in their lifetime.
- Mammography combined with physical examination can reduce breast cancer mortality rate by 20-30 percent.
*Current screening recommendations from the American Cancer Society:
- A mammogram is recommended yearly starting at age 40, and continuing for as long as a woman is in good health.
- Women should know how their breasts normally look and feel and report any breast change promptly to their health care provider.
- Clinical breast exam (CBE) should be performed every 3 years for women in their 20s and 30s and every year for women 40 and over.
- Certain women, due to their family history, genetic make-up, or other factors, should be screened with breast MRI in addition to mammography. Please discuss your history with your medical provider and decide together whether you should have additional tests or begin testing at an earlier age.
*This information may change over time with advancements in breast cancer research, therefore we urge you to consult the American Cancer Society website (www.cancer.org ) periodically for new updates.
What can I expect?
At Progressive Radiology (Bel Air, Colonnade - Maryland, Columbia - Maryland, Winchester - Virginia) we are proud to offer state-of-the-art digital mammography which results in superior contrast resolution and the ability to manipulate images for more accurate detection of breast cancers.
We offer a complementary MammoPad, a foam pad that serves as a cushion for your breast to make your examination warmer, softer, gentler and more comfortable. Our highly trained on-site board certified radiologist will expertly report your results to your medical provider in a timely fashion.
- Screening Digital Mammogram
This exam is performed if you have no breast symptoms and typically consists of two views of each breast. Immediately after the study you are free to leave our center and you will be notified of your results by mail and by your medical provider. If an abnormality is detected or if an area of your breast is not seen adequately, you will be notified to return for additional imaging (diagnostic digital mammogram and/or ultrasound).
- Diagnostic Digital Mammogram
This exam consists of one or more views of the breast(s). This exam is performed if you have a personal history of breast cancer, a specific complaint (such as a lump or nipple discharge) or if you have been requested to return for additional views of your breast from a recent screening mammogram. You will stay in our center while our radiologist interprets your study.
How Do I prepare for my Mammogram?
- Before scheduling a mammogram please discuss any new findings or problems in your breasts with your medical provider.
- Please inform our staff if you are breast-feeding or if there is any possibility that you are pregnant.
- Please inform our scheduler if you have breast implants.
- Do not wear deodorant, talcum powder, or lotion under your arms on the day of the exam. These can appear on the X-ray film as abnormal calcium spots. You may bring these products with you to apply upon completion of your exam.
- If possible, please obtain your prior mammograms and make them available to us at the time of your current exam. Our radiologist is looking for tiny abnormalities which can appear as a subtle change in the way your breasts look over time. Without the previous studies, you may be asked to come back for additional views, causing unnecessary stress and delay in diagnosis.
This is a safe and valuable diagnostic tool that uses sound waves to evaluate the breast . It can determine whether a breast mass contains fluid (is a cyst) or is solid. Because it uses no radiation, it is helpful in the evaluation of women with breast masses who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or under 30 years of age and would not ordinarily undergo mammography.
What can I expect?
Ultrasound is a painless procedure performed by a specially trained technologist . You will be undressed from the waist up and warm gel will be placed on the ultrasound transducer. The technologist will gently glide the transducer over your skin surface while taking pictures that the sound waves produce.
How should I prepare for this procedure?
There is no special preparation for Breast ultrasound/sonography.